Tuesday, December 27, 2011

The Christmas Curse


Christmas came and left without being noticed, aside of the unusual traffic jams and the human filled clothing stores I haven’t been in the mood of the holidays. They say that it is the most wonderful time of the year, but I find no joy in the fact that it takes me 30 min to get to my house although I am 100m away. And I find it ridiculous to wait in line for 20 min just to pay for my sweater. In this season everyone is broke because of buying gifts to their relatives, gifts that they will probably exchange later. This opens my first topic of conversation; gift exchanging. Why is it so wrong to tell someone that you did not like the gift they got you, it is known that I have different taste than you and if we did have the same taste then we would be the same person. I will not necessarily like what you got me; you might find it hilarious but I think of it as dull, after all that is the meaning of a society; a group of different people. We are all unique, from the way we dress, to the way we think and the list goes on. So why is it wrong to tell someone that you did not like their gift, why should we sit there with our fake smile trying to make up a use for what we just received while you can just say that you appreciate the gesture but you do not like this particular shirt, or trousers,…  And the most excruciating gifts are the ones we get from our grandparents; I really appreciate the fact that they took the time to go and pick out a gift for me, but if they must get me something, I prefer that they give me some money because we have very different taste and I cannot exchange their gift since they expect me to wear it whenever I see them, and if I don’t they will ask me about it. They might not know it, or they may deny it; but they put a lot of pressure on us, they dictate our lives, our parents can understand us but grandparents have lived and brought up kids of their own so they are set in their ways. The second Christmas tradition that I dislike takes place in the few days after Christmas; when we have for lunch and dinner all the leftovers from Christmas eve, we go from house to house, eating cake to cake because it is impolite to say no if you are offered; it is the Christmas blessing.  Well we all have a belly full of blessings and a month of subscription to the gym to prove it. 

 At Christmas, we bring out the street decorations (who have a lifetime of 1 day) and along comes the street beggars who harass you, literally jump on your car just to get a little money, we can pity them as much as we want, but the fact is that this money you are giving doesn't go to them, and even if we must be generous during this time of year their lives won’t get any better.
New year’s eve; the biggest disappointment,  it is the obsession of every young Lebanese since November, they all say they are tired of Faraya, that it is full of younger teenagers and that they’d rather stay home than go up there, but on the 31st you’ll find all of them with their 20cm high heels and their tight clothes standing in the snow on the outside of a club they paid their ass off to go to even if they know that it will be crowded as hell and they’re probably not going to have fun. It is the Lebanese way of thinking; forget the cons, but nag about them later.

No comments:

Post a Comment